Wednesday, August 27, 2014

6 Year Anniversary!

May 31, 2008 - The Eagles concert, Madison Square Garden

Rock 'n roll and writing aren't pretty hobbies you do out of boredom. They are ugly and vicious and demand attention. It burns through your blood, dramatic and wanting, a punch in the stomach, and a slow rush of warmth throughout. A true musician plays music because he will wake up at 4 in the morning, unrest and sheets kicked to the side, a song as yet unwritten keeping time in his mind. A true writer may have tried to leave it behind, take a corporate job, and pretend that assimilation equals adulthood. But it always lies inside you, it can only be dormant for so long before it whispers in your ear once more. It's seduction and truth and purpose.

When I started this blog, I was 22. A college graduate cliche, right out of the best four years of my life and navigating what it meant to move back home. The summer began with seeing The Eagles play Madison Square Garden on their massively successful "Long Road Out Of Eden" tour with amazing seats. They make it look easy at a time when everything seemed immensely difficult to me. 

I'm 28 now and I've been to dozens of concerts since then. The last concert I saw was Bret Michaels at the Milford Oyster Festival - a free show that attracted a literal record-breaking crowd. Bret is the ultimate crowd-pleaser, all the best Poison hits and familiar cover songs like "Sweet Home Alabama". You know exactly what you're going to get, and you love every second of it.

I've fallen in love to the soundtracks of bands from another era, I've dominated every music trivia game I've played, I can identify a song I know from the first two seconds. And for the past 6 years, I've kept this blog - a record of all the music I've adored, and it's just scratching the surface.

Here's to the past 6 years and to the next 6. No matter what has happened over the years, rock 'n roll is what's left when there's nothing else. Give me a notebook, a six string, three chords, or a guitar solo.

You've got to stand for something. It may as well be rock 'n roll.


November 13, 2013 - Serendipity Magazine event


People try to take my soul away,
but I don't hear the rap that they all say
They try to tell us we don't belong,
that's alright, we're millions strong
This is my music, it makes me proud,
these are my people and this is my crowd

These are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights
These are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights

Sometimes days are so hard to survive,
a million ways to bury you alive
The sun goes down like a bad bad dream
You're wound up tight, gotta let off steam
They say they can break you again and again,
if life is a radio, turn up to ten

And they try to tell us that we don't belong
But that's alright, we're millions strong
You are my people, you are my crowd,
this is our music, we love it loud
Yeah, and nobody's gonna change me,
'cause that's who I am
~ KISS, "Crazy Crazy Nights"

 

1 comment:

Kat Tanita (With Love From Kat) said...

Love this!! Congrats on the anniversary! Hope you’ll enter my L’Occitane giveaway: http://withlovefromkat.com/fall-beauty-must-haves-with-loccitane-divine-body-oil-cream-collection

xo Kat
www.withlovefromkat.com