Thursday, May 16, 2013

American Idol: Finale - May 16, 2013


Finale Show - May 16, 2013

Top 10 Idol Contestants - "Glad You Came"  B
This was supremely cheesy, of course it was, but somehow it was cheesy in a good way. I loved their coordinated white outfits and it actually looked like the Idol contestants were having a good time (not always the case with these choreographed, often lipsynced group numbers).

The Band Perry & Janelle Arthur - "Done"  A+
UNBELIEVABLY fun to watch. This was a country music tribute to hair metal and I loved every minute of it. The choreographed kicks, headbanging, fire, and those haircuts. Wow, this was just amazing. THIS was the perfect example of a duet/group performance where the band actually looks like they are interacting with the Idol contestant. It even seemed like Janelle was in their band which is the highest possible compliment I could give. It's a shame the producers didn't really let any of the contestants do uptempo songs this year, as its evident they could have kicked ass at them.


Top 5 Guys & Frankie Valli - Four Seasons Medley/"Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"/"Grease"  A
This had me up off my seat rocking out, no surprise! I love Motown and the music of the 60's. This was cheesy, safe fun.

Mariah Carey - "Vision Of Love"/"Make It Happen"/"My All"/"Hero"/"We Belong Together"/"#Beautiful"  B
As you can see, Mariah performed no less than 6 songs in this performance. While I LOVE Mariah's music and a greatest hits medley sounds amazing, the short clips didn't give any song any time to build and reach its full peak or potential. It would have been awesome to start with We Belong Together and segue into her new hit #Beautiful. I love Mariah but there was just way too much going on here.

Amber Holcomb & Emilie Sande - "Next To Me"  B-
The vibe between Amber and Emilie was a bit awkward, as if they hadn't rehearsed or didn't really know how to react to each other. Especially compared to Janelle singing with The Band Perry which was loads of fun and very organic and natural. I liked Candice's version of this song much better, and it seemed a bit unnecessary having Amber sing a song that Candice had sung just last week.

PSY - "Gentleman" C-/D+
This was sort of awful, but it got me dancing. I am STUNNED he didn't throw in a snippet of Gangnam Style in here, but PSY is probably trying to prove he is more than just a one hit wonder. Since this song is (somehow) on the charts, he is definitely on his way to proving that.

Keith Urban - "Little Bit Of Everything" A+
I think this was the moment where I fell in love with Keith Urban. He is just the kind of guy you want to grab a beer with, under the summer sun, flip flops and a t-shirt. I know it's not just me! I realized with this performance that he is the antithesis of Mariah - all laid-back cool and low-key energy - where you know Mariah spent hours micromanaging every aspect of her performance (which ended up being sub-par compared to Keith's). I think we could all learn a lesson or two about life from Keith!

Candice Glover & Jennifer Hudson - "Inseparable" A+
This was JAWDROPPING. Amazing. What can I even say? These two powerhouse vocalists brought the house down. We can end the show right there. Unbelievable! These two girls should record this song together.

Angie Miller & Adam Lambert - "Titanium" / Angie Miller & Jessie J - "Domino"   A+
You may argue that I am getting a bit liberal with the A+s here, but come on. I loved seeing Glambert back on the Idol stage. Angie began the song at the piano, duetting with Adam across the piano - it worked amazingly. Very emotional and dramatic, which I loved. The ache in Angie's voice was beautiful. I will buy this right now. Where is the link? Jessie J came out to sing her hit "Domino" with Angie and you could tell she was thrilled to sing with her favorite singer, Jessie J as well. A great performance and extremely fun!

Keith Urban, Kree Harrison, & Randy Jackson - "Where The Blacktop Ends" A
Another awesome performance by Keith. This is the most relaxed and joyful I have ever seen Kree look on this stage. I think she should have performed with Keith every week! Clearly his chill attitude is rubbing off on her.

Aretha Franklin & Top 5 Girls - "Natural Woman"/"Never Loved A Man"/"Respect"/"Think" B/B-
Sort of an odd concept - Aretha is singing on a TV screen via satellite while the Top 5 girls sing backup vocals on the stage. It's kind of strange, but it (kind of) works. The choreography and red and black outfits are awesome though!

Jennifer Lopez & Pitbull - "Live It Up" B
This is AT LEAST the 3rd song J. Lo & Pitbull have done together ("On The Floor", "Dance Again") and it's the worst of the three. That said, I LOVED the dancing and costumes (even those wild gladiator sandals J. Lo and the dancers had on). It was a pretty entertaining performance although I could have done without Pitbull entirely. Also what on earth does "let's hook tonight" mean? Hook up? Hookers? Whatever, #YOLO.

Kree Harrison & Candice Glover - "One Less Bell To Answer"/"A House Is Not A Home" A
Have we ever heard the two Idol finalists sing together before? If not, I don't know why not! They sound wonderful together, even though they are tackling two very old songs I wouldn't know if not for their inclusion on Glee. I only wish the producers could have given them a more fun song, but it doesn't matter at this point because they sound great.

AND THE WINNER IS.....CANDICE GLOVER!

Candice Glover - "I Am Beautiful" A+
Of course, Candice was crying so hard her voice ended up a little muffled and strained. It was so emotional and wonderful - of course I cried, was there a doubt? It's been a long season and from her very audition, Candice is the one I was hoping would make it to the end. Her unjust cut in Vegas week last year was a CRIME against singing and I am glad that she came back this year and took the crown. I am so happy for Candice - she truly deserved this win and it's been a long road for her (auditioning 3 times).

Check out the Vegas week performance I'm talking about from Season 11 (with eventual Top 10 Season 11 contestants DeAndre Brackensick and Jessica Sanchez):



And on that amazing note, I sign off for American Idol Season 12. It's been real! Until Season 13...

No comments: