American Idol: Top 6 - April 10, 2013






Top 6 - Bacharach/Hal David Songbook & "Song You Wish You Had Written"

It was fascinating how quickly the show glossed over the intro packages and the entire THEME of the Burt Bacharach/Hal David songbook

1. Angie Miller - "Anyone Who Had A Heart" A-

Very pretty rendition of this song. I thought it was interesting that Keith told her to be more impassioned in her delivery when I had specifically written that I thought she was "impassioned" as she sang.

2. Amber Holcomb - "I Say A Little Prayer" A-/B+

Even though this was SO VERY SEASON 3 in every possible way, I liked it in spite of myself! Amber's voice sounded great and I liked that she made some interesting choice of inflection with the song. I think this was probably the best song choice she could have made when choosing from the approved songs for the theme. A fun uptempo choice, although no one could avoid how dated this song sounds.

3. Lazaro Arbos - "(They Long To Be) Close To You" D

I am not even sure what to make of this. Lazaro was off the pitch for most of the song and sounded out of sync with the band. He looked terrified and uncomfortable. He sang in a tentative and quiet tone that made it hard to hear. This is something I would expect to see performed in my living room after too many drinks. Also - what in the name of God was he wearing? A green, reptilian suit! Sadly, the suit was probably the most interesting thing about this performance. Oh, Lazaro is so out of his element now. It's tough to watch.

4. Kree Harrison - "What The World Needs Now Is Love" A-

I LOVED the acapella intro and really wished she had sang the entire song acapella. It would have been a bold choice that would have paid off immensely. Kree really put a country twist to a song that I've never heard as anything but easy listening.

5. Janelle Arthur - "Ill Never Fall In Love Again" B-

Unfortunately this song choice came off as very cheesy and dated, almost like from a variety show or Broadway musical. It also sounded IMMENSELY like "I Won't Say I'm In Love" from the Disney movie Hercules. (OK, that movie never really stood the test of time, but give the song a chance - it's by far the best thing about the movie!!) Compare them by listening to Janelle's song. Tell me it's not the same! While Janelle did a good job, it was really more cute than anything else.



6. Candice Glover - "Don't Make Me Over" A

Candice makes it look easy. I hope that the effortless way in which she sings doesn't make people think that what she does is easily attainable. I love that Nicki said that Candice made an older song sound like contemporary R&B and I definitely think she gave it a John Legend vibe. She delivered in a way that was both powerful and laidback. The high notes were gorgeous and she is just so fierce. I love her - my favorite contestant this season.

7. Angie Miller - "Love Came Down" A

I really felt Angie's emotions behind this song. When she sits at the piano, her songs take on a different, more intense vibe. I wish she would stop focusing on making eyes at the camera and lose herself in her music however.

8. Amber Holcomb - "Love On Top" B-

Since this is one of my favorite Beyonce songs, I had high hopes for Amber's performance. I don't know if it was that she couldn't compare to Beyonce, or that her energy was lacking as she performed her first true uptempo on the show. Something was certainly lacking over all for me. The judges' feedback was truly over the top (or as Mariah might put it, OTT) tonight for Amber - overly effusive and complimentary. It's making me wonder if they're setting her up for the save tomorrow. My prediction? Amber or Janelle will garner the lowest number of votes and be saved. At this point, I think it may be Amber since Janelle's fans should be more motivated to vote for her this week since she was in the Bottom 2 last week.

9. Lazaro Arbos - "Angels" C

This was an infinitely better performance for Lazaro, but tonight everyone else in the competition blatantly outsang him. His voice trembled in parts and it was just absolutely not memorable. If Lazaro does not go home tonight, he's going to win this show.

10. Kree Harrison - "Help Me Make It Through The Night" A-/B+

I love how Keith threw a little shade at the pop/country trend by saying that Kree was an authentic country singer and knows definitively who she is. Her voice is flawless and "thick" with emotion and beauty. This was a sleepy song for me and I would have liked to hear a different choice from her, but there's no denying she sang it unbelievably.

11. Janelle Arthur - "The Dance" B+

It only takes about 30 seconds of this heartbreaking, beautiful song to make me start crying. And if you have not heard this unbelievable song by Garth Brooks, I have no idea what in the world you are waiting for. Janelle's version was not as great as I'd hoped it had the potential to be - the emotion and pain were severely lacking. The overall performance suffered for it. I think Keith was correct when he said it would have been amazing if she had played it on an acoustic guitar. What a missed opportunity! This really disappointed me. I'm giving Janelle some extra points for song selection, but the vocals/performance were more of a B-.



12. Candice Glover - "Love Song" A++++

SERIOUSLY. JUST GO LISTEN TO THIS. Download the MP3. Listen to it a million times. This is a master class in singing, in feeling the true emotion of a song, of making it your own. I loved the arrangement, I loved the pure artistry of it, I felt every word. This has got to be one of the best performances I have ever seen in my years of watching American Idol (or the X Factor or the Voice or any singing competition ever).

On a related note, I am very puzzled by the creepy demon sound in the middle of Candice's performance so prepare yourself for that. I thought it was just my TV (but apparently not!!)

Best of the night: Candice - "Love Song" 
Worst of the night: Lazaro - "Close To You"

Comments