Ode To The Mix CD

We Are Crazy Mix

The mix was not originally made for me. I always thought it was titled “We Are Crazy Mix”, however a close glance at the full title reveals it to be “We Are Crazy Nuts Driving Around.” And we were young, we were brave, but most of all, we were crazy with all the false bravado and not-so-secret insecurities of teenage girls.

The mix starts out with the perennial teen girl favorite “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”; the sonic throb of the intro would pound through her old car’s speakers each time the CD began. I would rest my hand on the windowsill of the passenger side and chomp on Starbursts and Hostess cupcakes as we drove all over our county in search of boys and adventure.

Nearly each time we were in her car, I demanded to hear this mix. Mostly, I was indulged. It was a welcome respite to the sweetly, softly sad indie rock we would often listen to, bands with names that hinted at places I would never see.

The CD itself is a psychologically fascinating mix of girl-power anthems (Cyndi, No Doubt) and misogynistic rap songs (Ludacris, DMX, Cam’ron). Thrown in the middle is one seemingly throwaway track – “Kick Some Ass” – which stands the test of time as the best driving song ever written (ever) and one sadly longing quirky ode to transience (“Every Me, Every You”).

And we drove everywhere, with the recklessness I once had and the knowledge we didn’t really have anything better to do besides our homework. There were boys that we only wished were ours. We clung to them as if they meant so much more than they did. If good girls go to heaven and bad girls go everywhere, we went nowhere.

The CD held thirteen songs and four seconds of a fourteenth song. But thirteen is an unlucky number and the last four seconds of the mix foreshadowed one of the habits that ultimately tore us apart.

I still drive around listening to this mix. I ended up in possession of it, most likely due to my undying devotion to the songs I had heard over and over again. But this time I am in the driver’s seat.

WE ARE CRAZY NUTS DRIVING AROUND MIX

  1. Cyndi Lauper – “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”
  2. Cam’ron featuring Julez Santana – “Oh Boy”
  3. The Bloodhound Gang – “The Bad Touch”
  4. The Ramones – “I Wanna Be Sedated”
  5. Aqua – “Happy Boys And Girls”
  6. Fat Joe with Ja Rule and Ashanti – “What’s Luv”
  7. Madonna – “Like A Virgin”
  8. No Doubt – “Spiderwebs”
  9. Ludacris – “What’s Your Fantasy”
  10. Stroke 9 – “Kick Some Ass”
  11. The Beach Boys – “I Get Around”
  12. DMX – “Party Up”
  13. Placebo – “Every Me, Every You”
  14. Afroman – “Because I Got High” (4 second clip)

1/5/10, 7:51 PM

Stroke 9 - "Kick Some Ass"

Placebo - "Every Me, Every You"

Ludacris - "What's Your Fantasy"


Comments

Yankee Talk said…
I have a picture of you doing this and I'm pretty confident it is damn close to the real image. What an treating insight to your teenage self, I wish I could've known you then :)