Old School Year End Wrap Up: 1998 & 1999

We all remember our misspent youth differently than it actually occurred. To really - truly - go back in time, I thought I'd go straight to the source: my journal. I started keeping a journal on June 22, 1998, or more than half my life. In Dec. 1999, I began calculating my "end of the year wrap up", something I still do this day, and now also on this blog.

I thought it would be interesting to revisit the thoughts of my 12 and 13 year old self. (In 1998, I didn't do a year end wrap up but I did make a list of my favorite singers.)

Oh 1999, what a sweet innocent time, before texting, the reign of Apple, and the recession. I mean, cell phones looked like this! 1999, the year of my first concert (Sept. 1999. The Backstreet Boys' Millennium tour at Continental Airlines Arena, New Jersey).

So snap in some butterfly clips, put on your jelly shoes, turn the TV to TRL, rewind your videotapes, and fasten the tag protectors back on those Beanie Babies.
We're goin' back, to a simpler time...

12/30/98

Favorite music: Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Brandy, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Hanson, Spice Girls, Ace Of Base, LeAnn Rimes, Madonna.

12/30/99

Songs (released any year, but mostly in 1999)

10. Monica – “Angel of Mine”


9. Mandy Moore – “Candy”


8. Backstreet Boys – “Larger Than Life”


7. Jessica Simpson – “I Wanna Love You Forever”


6. House of Pain – “Jump Around” (from 1993, but whatever)

5. Sarah McLachlan – “Do What You Have To Do”

4. Celine Dion – “If That’s What It Takes” (1997)

3. Millennium songs (Will Smith – “Will 2K”, Prince – “1999”, and Kenny G – “Auld Lang Syne”)

2. Don McLean – “American Pie” (1971)

1. Britney Spears – “Baby One More Time”


Albums (mostly released in 1999)

10. Now 2 (1999)

9. Mandy Moore – “So Real” (1999)

8. Jessica Simpson – “Sweet Kisses” (1999)

7. Sabrina The Teenage Witch Soundtrack (1998)

6. Christina Aguilera – self titled (1999)

5. Sarah McLachlan – “Surfacing” (1997)

4. Dawson’s Creek Soundtrack (1999)

3. Celine Dion – “Falling Into You” (1996)

2. Backstreet Boys – “Millennium” (1999)

1. Britney Spears – “Baby One More Time” (1999)

Favorite music: Celine Dion, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, Mandy Moore, 98 Degrees, LFO, Sarah McLachlan, Mariah Carey, Will Smith, 80’s music.

Comments

Yankee Talk said…
What an interesting view into your younger self, I wish I knew that person in person! And for once I know all of the songs on your countdown, no surprise at #1! But Candy, come on haha. That sounds is weird.
Meghan said…
I am shocked you don't love the song "Candy". Also I was a very interesting younger person, I wish you had know me too.