Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Top 10 Christmas Songs

10. Elton John - "Step Into Christmas" (1973)

One of the most unashamedly upbeat Christmas songs I have ever heard, and I love it.



9. Elmo & Patsy - "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" (1979)

This song NEVER gets old. I couldn't find the original version on YouTube - copyright claims and all - but here is a "remix" version.



8. John Lennon & Yoko Ono - "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" (1971)

Originally an anti-Vietnam protest song, this song has become a standard (and incredible) Christmas song. Little known fact: the chorus is the Harlem Boys Choir.



7. Lou Monte - "Dominic The Donkey" (1960)


My favorite Christmas song as a child...what can I say, I was an odd child.



6. U2 - "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" (1987)

Gorgeously sad and the black & white music video only adds to the atmospheric quality of this all too short song. Honorable mention goes to the aching and slow version by Death Cab For Cutie.



5. Wham - "Last Christmas" (1984)

Absolutely NO song of Christmas lists of the past 100 years would be complete without the necessary inclusion of "Last Christmas". Bonus points for George Michael's sexy hair in the video.



4. Jon Bon Jovi - "Please Come Home For Christmas" (1994)

While the band's song "I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas" is amazing, I had to go with the solo song by JBJ, maybe because of the sexy video with Cindy Crawford that accompanies it.



3. Celine Dion - "The Magic Of Christmas Day (God Bless Us Everyone)" (1998)

I could listen to this song all year round and that is the highest compliment I can give a Christmas song. Celine's entire Christmas album is incredible and the best Christmas album of all time.



2. Britney Spears - "My Only Wish (This Year)"
(2000)

Listening to this song brings me back to a very specific time in my life, of being 13 years old and assembling and decorating the Christmas tree singlehandedly while listening to this song on the CD "Platinum Christmas" on my "gray box "1998 Toshiba laptop.



1. Mariah Carey - "All I Want For Christmas Is You" (1994)

Hands down, the best Christmas song of the modern era. There is a reason why this song sounds good all year long. Also it is more than refreshing to see a home-video esque music video with Mariah running around in the snow with a hat, braided pigtails, and gloves on, instead of 6 inch stillettos.

1 comment:

Yankee Talk said...

Where are the top 10 Hanukah Songs?!?!