Saturday, June 5, 2010

Song of the moment - Deadmau5

Song of the moment: Deadmau5 f. Rob Swire ~ "Ghosts N Stuff"

The beat is what plays in your head after you wake up with a hangover at 6 a.m. and the light is sliding in through the blinds in your window. The lyrics say nothing and everything at the same time.

This one song epitomizes the entire decade of the 80's in just a few lines - the decadence, the hedonism, the cocaine residue on every $20 bill in your wallet. Using and abusing and not caring enough about anything.

I could hear it playing in the background of every blurry party in Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis. It's a song that's unaffected by artifice. It slinks along, searching for something in the dark of night and not being all that disappointed when it finds nothing.

Is the song an ode to lost nights of drug use? Sex with strangers in bar bathrooms? Or only having the energy to take from the world without being able to give anything back?

The robotic maybe-female voiceover intro seems out of place, at first listen. Then you realize it voices the disaffection of a generation that existed for an all-too-brief moment.

"It's the way that you fake it, I know it's too late. But I, I just want to play it right."

The song is a fitting soundtrack to a life where everything is a game and people are pawns for the taking, where people slide in and out of consciousness and velvet walls slowly close in. Where artifice is only a cover for the raw malice evident within.

Desperate but yielding.



Deadmau5 f. Rob Swire - "Ghosts N Stuff"

it’s been so long I’ve been out of my body with you
I feel alone, feel at home, feel like nothing is true
she took me to a place where my senses gave way
turn it round, shut it down, what the people say
climbing up, killing time, let them give you some
take my hand and let it come, let it come, let it…

take it back when she knows that you're doing it right
cause everybody else knows what they're taking tonight

but I just wanna play it right
we’re gonna get there tonight

it’s been so far, I’ve been walking the line on my own
lift me up to the stars, we are coming home
I only had a chase, but we're out of time
we are souls in the cold, physical design
set me free, set me out on the run
lift me up to the sun, to the sun, to the…

we are burning down, we are burning down
it’s the way that you fake it, I know it’s too late

but I just want to play it right
we’re gonna get there tonight

No comments: