Thursday, June 3, 2010

American Idol Season 9: Top 2 FINALE - May 25, 2010


Top 2 -  Finale Week:
May 25, 2010

Lee Dewyze - "The Boxer" B+

This performance lacked the original conviction he had when he performed it back on Inspirational Songs Week, back when I still had Tim Urban to stare at on a weekly basis. (If only...) The most beautiful moment of the season was the clip where Lee performed this song in front of his hometown crowd in Chicago, and his voice broke with tears on the line "I am leaving, I am leaving, but the fighter still remains." It made me cry to see it. But this version of the song was similar, but not quite as good.

Lee Dewyze - "Everybody Hurts" B+

I was more than excited to hear the judge's song choice for Lee was R.E.M.'s classic "Everybody Hurts". A wonderful song that I was interested to hear how Lee would sing. While he did a good job, there was nothing too revolutionary about the performance, and I had hoped for a bit more emotion for Lee. The long note he sang on "don't throw your haaaaaaaaaaaaaaands" didn't sound so great either.

Lee Dewzye - "Beautiful Day" B

It just wasn't the amazing song I'd hoped for Lee, something like his previous choices of "Halleujah", "Treat Her Like A Lady", "A Little Less Conversation", "Lips of An Angel", "Fireflies", and/or "That's Life". It just sort of fell flat, and this is the kind of song that's supposed to soar and swoop. As it was his last performance, I was a little bit generous with the grade. But really, this kind of performance isn't the reason why I voted hundreds of times over the course of the season (wow, that's scary) for Lee.

Crystal Bowersox - "Me and Bobby McGee" A-

As she has drawn many Janis Joplin wannabe comments this season, it is only fitting that Crystal chose this song as her repeat performance song on the Finale night. Freedom is just another fucking word for nothing left to lose. You tell em, Crystal. And honestly, she really had nothing to lose on this night. As Simon said earlier in the season to Tim, "you're going to smile, people are going to vote for you, and nothing I say matters." Interestingly, in this season, nothing was more true. She gave it her all on this song, and I applaud her for it. (I still picked up the phone to vote for Lee however.)

Crystal Bowersox - "Black Velvet" B+

This was certainly entertaining, but not perfect. There were a few voice problems at parts, and Crystal's gritty voice didn't quite gel with the silky-smooth jazz of the song. She did put a good amount of passion into it. I didn't like the last semi-scream of the song.

Crystal Bowersox - "Up To The Mountain" A

Clearly Crystal picked a song that meant a lot to her. This was Crystal letting down her walls and the somewhat cocky attitude that followed her around the whole season. This was a song about fighting hard everyday of your life and never admitting weakness. And my god, I believed her when she sang these lyrics, something that has been sorely lacking from American Idol this season. Best performance of the night, by far.

Best of the night: Crystal - "Up To The Mountain"
Worst of the night: Lee - "Beautiful Day" (yes, it pains me to write this)

1 comment:

Yankee Talk said...

Best of the week: Andrew singing all sorts of Disney songs to Meghan.