Saturday, May 1, 2010

American Idol Season 9 - Top 6: April 27, 2010


Top 6 - Shania Twain Week:
April 27, 2010
Lee Dewyze - "You're Still The One" A-
I had a feeling Lee would take on this song, and of course, I was right. He sounded amazing, as always, and put a lot of emotion into the song that made all the difference in the world.

Michael Lynche - "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing" B+
I have been extremely irritated with Big Mike lately (and his wife, but I digress). I think he's stayed around too long while superior performers have gone home. Do we even have to mention Katelyn Epperly, Alex Lambert, Lily Scott, and Janell Wheeler as examples? But Big Mike redeemed himself with this touching and beautiful performance. Finally a song worthy of Big Mike's theatrics, which he toned down tonight. He actually sounded like an R&B superstar on this song and I was totally impressed.

Casey James - "Don't" A
The best performance of the night. A song I could imagine hearing - and loving - on the radio. Casey stripped it down (don't read any sexual innuendo into that one, Kara!) and was incredible. How he ended up in the Bottom 2 is one of those inevitable and dumbfounding Idol mysteries.

Crystal Bowersox - "No One Needs To Know" C+
This came off as cutesy and over-indulgent. Crystal does have a great voice but the "this is dedicated to my boyfriend - hint hint" came off as irritating. As someone on another blog (Entertainment Weekly, I think) said, this is not A Prairie Home Companion. THIS. IS. AMERICAN. IDOL. (Seacrest. Out!) Whereas the front runner of season 8 (Adam Lambert) was perpetually humble towards the judges, Crystal put forth a haughty attitude that instantly turned me off. Yes, Crystal, bigger isn't always better, and this performance was neither. I liked it less each time I heard it.

Aaron Kelly - "You've Got A Way" B+
A sweet, small country performance that 17-year-old Aaron dedicated to his mother. (Awwwww.) Nothing phenomenal, but Aaron was a breath of fresh air after Crystal.

Sibohan Magnus - "Any Man Of Mine" B
This actually sounded like a country song mixed with R&B in a very odd marriage. There is no way Siobhan deserved to go home based on this performance, which was actually pretty fun. I loved the energy she showed in this performance. However, the scream (the 8th we've probably heard) was out-of-place yet again and the performance suffered for it. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Best of the night: Casey
Worst of the night: Crystal

No comments: