American Idol Season 9 - Top 4: May 11, 2010


Top 4: Movie Week - May 11, 2010

Lee Dewyze - "Kiss From A Rose" B+

A somewhat bold choice from Lee. The song didn't quite fit his voice very well on the higher notes and it was a bit sleepier than his previous performances. However, still worth a listen as Lee has one of those voices that generally sounds good on most things and amazing on exceptional things.

Michael Lynche - "Will You Be There" A-

Well, Simon got a bit bogged down in the fact that the song was from Free Willy, the movie about a boy and his whale friend. But I was more than impressed with Big Mike's version of this song. I'm the last person to be a Big Mike fan, mind you, but I have to give credit where it's due. The gospel choir and Mike's glory note (towards the end) combined to make this a good if not especially moving performance.

Casey James - "Mrs. Robinson" A-

Casey added something a bit different to this song with the ukelele. Jason Castro -dare I say it - may have done it better in Season 7. (Then again everybody did it better in Season 7, but I disgress.) Each time I listen to this performance, I get a little bit more out of it. The second half is really where Casey shone on this song. The first time I listened to it, I might have given it a B, but the tone of his voice comes out stronger and stronger with repeat listenings. It's a bit too quirky to take it all in the first time around, but give it a chance. One of the sleeper performances of the season.

Crystal Bowersox - "I'm Alright" B

At first I didn't know if I knew the song, but I realized it's the kind of song that still gets played on classic rock stations. Crystal kept switching between a gruffer kind of growl and a sweeter, pretty voice. I don't know if the switch really worked. Not bad by any means, but as Randy would say, it didn't really work for me, dawg.

Lee & Crystal duet - "Falling Slowly" A+

I think this performance showed us the finale. Right then, right there, it was decided. One of the best performances I have ever seen on the Idol stage (and the best duet this side of Carly Smithson and Michael John's amazing A+++ duet of "The Letter" last season when they returned for a results show). The camera angles on this one were epic. I loved how the two guitars gave the slower song a rock edge and changed it up a bit. Amazing.

Casey & Mike duet - "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" B

I am not sure how many times I'll say it, but here I go again. This performance did not compare to Matt Giraud's "Judge's Save" TM performance from last season of the same song. But hey, I wasn't expecting it to. Casey and Mike both performed admirably on this song, considering the whole concept of them dueting was a bit awkward. They certainly did a better job than the last two male contestants forcd to duet last season: Kris Allen and Danny Gokey on a very odd rendition of "Renegade" by Styx. (I just don't like that song anyway, so maybe I'm biased.)

Best of the night: Lee & Crystal duet
Worst of the night: Casey & Mike duet

Comments