Monday, April 5, 2010

American Idol Season 9 - Top 10: March 30, 2010


R&B/Soul Week - Top 10: March 30, 2010

Siobhan Magnus - "Through The Fire" (originally by Chaka Khan) B
I thought Sibohan did a lot better than the judges gave her credit for. She did pick a song that fit the R&B theme quite well, and adjusted her voice somewhat to fit the theme. Overall, she embraced the R&B theme much more than I thought she would. Maybe she suffered as she picked a song that sounded quite dated and threw in a scream that did not at all fit with the songs. The last scream was actually painful to listen to - ouch.

Casey James - "Hold On I'm Coming" (originally by Sam & Dave) B+
A fun, energetic performance. Casey's performances always have a fun, bluesy vibe. Casey may be the season's most talented musician, but you would never know it due to all the attention Crystal gets. I think Casey has a "moment" in him, the kind that will make all our jaws drop and grab our attention. He is the kind of singer that will hopefully go on to front a rock band - I would think this sort of role would suit him much better than life as a solo artist.

Michael Lynche - "Ready For Love" (originally by India Arie) B-
First off, it was odd for Big Mike to be sitting behind the judges. Odder still was that none of them turned around to watch his performance. It was a perfectly competent performance, but I couldn't get excited about it for some reason. I also couldn't find anything wrong with it. Yet, it was a performance that certainly highlighted a different, more subtle side of the usually cheesy and energetic Big Mike.

Didi Benami - "What Becomes of The Brokenhearted" (originally by ?) C+
It seemed Didi was singing too fast for the music, and it never really straightened itself out. She sounded okay for the most part, but it was certainly not a memorable performance by any means. It was a bit melodramatic and Ryan Seacret's not-so-subtle references to Didi's deceased best friend came off as cheap and unnecessary. I also am not sure how this song is the definitive song to dedicate to a friend who has passed away. The second half of the performance was a lot better than the first.

Tim Urban - "Sweet Love" (originally by Anita Baker) A-
I could listen to - and watch - Tim sing all day. Simon was hilarious, because it is true - it really doesn't matter what the judges say. Tim will continue to smile that beautiful, crooked smile and get thousands of votes (mine included). I was expecting the judges to praise him profusely after this great performance, but it wasn't to be. But who cares? Those abs, those eyes, those perfect teeth. He's got my vote. (Side note: Props to Randy Jackson for using one of my favorite words - pedestrian.)

Andrew Garcia - "Forever" (originally by Chris Brown) B
The first thing that caught my attention about this performance was the song choice. Chris Brown isn't exactly family-friendly entertainment anymore, but this song, released before the assault incident, stands up as a quality piece of R&B. Maybe FINALLY the judges will stop talking about Andrew's performance of "Straight Up" way back in Hollywood week after this performance, which was fun and different. Unlike his cover of "Genie In A Bottle", which came off as boring and creepy, this was a fun twist on the original song.

Katie Stevens - "Chain Of Fools" (originally by Aretha Franklin) B+
I liked her makeover. Her cover of "Chain Of Fools" was fun and she showcased a little personality. Frighteningly, I have loved this song since before Katie Stevens was born. I thought she did the song justice, overall.

Lee Dewyze - "Treat Her Like A Lady" (originally by the Cornelius Brothers) A+
The first A+ of the season! Last season I gave out the only solo A+ to Adam Lambert's cover of "Whole Lotta Love" (I think I also gave one to Kris and Adam's duet with Queen). When did Lee get so undeniably sexy? Tonight was the night I have to agree with Simon - his life may have changed forever. It would be a crime if it didn't. This was a subversive, gruff, incredible performance. In one word: AMAZING. This will surely make my Top 25 Most Played list in a few months, right up there with anything by Matt Giraud.

Crystal Bowersox - "Midnight Train To Georgia" (originally by Gladys Knight and the Pips) A-
Somehow, Crystal has set the bar so high for herself, I am worried it might be her undoing. This was a great version of a song I've loved my whole life. The backup singers didn't sound too great, however, and I would have preferred her to sing without them.

Aaron Kelly - "Ain't No Sunshine" (originally by Bill Withers) B-
On its own, this would be a good, solid performance. But compared to Kris Allen's haunting and excellent version from last season, Aaron's version just falls short. Not much to say about this one.

Best of the night: Lee (by a mile)
Worst of the night: Didi (by a hair)

No comments: