Saturday, April 24, 2010

American Idol Season 9 - Top 7: April 20, 20120

Inspirational Songs - Top 7 - April 20, 2010

Casey James - "Don't Stop" (originally by Fleetwood Mac) B
A perfectly competent cover, but nothing spectacular. I think Casey just does what he does so effortlessly that we forget that he is a great contestant. He has a great tone to his voice and is always excellent on the guitar. I think here he suffered from picking the wrong song. I disagree with the judges in the sense that I do think this song can be viewed as inspirational. How amazing would it have been if he had stripped the song down and performed a haunting acoustic version that really let the words resonate?

Lee Dewyze - "The Boxer" (originally by Simon and Garfunkel) A-
Lee sang this song with lots of emotion, which I think made a difference in contrast to Casey's performance. I have to say I was not impressed with the song at all itself, and the la-la-las got a little old. (Anyone else find it odd that this was the only part of the performance they showcased on the recap? La-la-la-la-la...) It was this performance that showed to me that Lee could probably sing the phonebook and I'd still be impressed with him.

Tim Urban - "Better Days" (originally by Goo Goo Dolls) B+
Because I won't be able to do it ever again, or at least in a blog post related to a Tim performance, I'm going to say it for the last time. That hair, those blue eyes, those incredible abs, everything added up perfectly to make Tim the dreamiest contestant this side of Kris Allen (or Michael Johns - take your pick). Tim's last performance on the Idol stage (as he did not get a farewell performance due to Idol Gives Back running 1/2 hour long) was good but not great.

Aaron Kelly - "I Believe I Can Fly" (originally by R. Kelly) B
Aaron did sort of a country version of the song, which was actually interesting, as the lyrics might work very well for a country song. I was very impressed by Aaron's voice towards at the end of the song, where he picked up more steam, and the arrangement got a bit more dramatic, Celine Dion style.

Siobhan Magnus - "When You Believe" (originally by Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey) A-
Beautifully, gorgeously sung, although I didn't feel too much emotion throughout the song. I was expected the judges to praise her enormously and was shocked when they didn't. She picked a bit more of a diva song and gave an according performance. This was the best performance from Sibohan in a long time.

Michael Lynche - "Hero" (originally by Chad Kroeger and Josey Scott) B-/C+
A little bit too much posturing for me. I am tired of his melodramatic performances with just OK vocals. And I am also tired of seeing his wife in the audience every five seconds. I really have nothing much to say about this performance. Decent enough but ultimately forgettable.

Crystal Bowersox - "People Get Ready" (originally by ??) A-
I liked her acapella intro, although she hit a pretty bad sounding note in the beginning. A true watercooler moment and a true American Idol moment, in the sense that I think people will still be talking about this performance in years to come. For some reason though, I just can't get on the Crystal bandwagon. I know she's great, I know she's the frontrunner, but I don't know...

Best of the night: Siobhan
Worst of the night: Big Mike

1 comment:

Yankee Talk said...

Why did no one sing It's All Coming Back To Me Now by Celine Dion? That is pretty inspirational! I would have preferred to hear that song, but then again no one can sing it as well as Celine.