Sunday, April 11, 2010

American Idol Season 9 - Top 9: April, 5, 2010


Beatles Week - Top 9 - April 5, 2010

Aaron Kelly - "The Long And Winding Road" B-

This was a sweet, but bland performance. Aaron struggled a little bit at certain parts of the song and Simon was correct in calling it old fashioned. But still, Aaron Kelly has mastered that aw-shucks charm that David Archuleta gave off so effortlessly. Aaron remains likeable and a more than competent singer.

Katie Stevens - "Let It Be" A-
One of Katie's best performances. She is slowly growing and improving on the Idol stage. Katie has been criticized online for being robotic and pageant-like. With this performance, I think she changed all that and revealed a softer, more heartfelt side of herself. I had pretty much written off Katie as a true contender for the American Idol crown, but this song coupled with "Wild Horses" and "Big Girls Don't Cry" might have changed my opinion.

Andrew Garcia - "Can't Buy Me Love" C

This performance started off barely decent and progressed into ultimate cheesiness. The music sounded EXACTLY like "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones and compared to Tom Jones, Andrew just couldn't compare. It wasn't a trainwreck, by any means, but this should have been the performance that sent home Andrew to a ninth-place finish.

Michael Lynche - "Eleanor Rigby" C-

Horribly melodramatic. Big Mike pushed too far with his falsetto and accented words in a way I can only describe as off-putting and unnecessary. I correctly predicted that he would be the lowest votegetter and based on this performance, he did not deserve the Judges' Save. As I have said before and I will say over and over again, he is no Matt Giraud (who was the recipient of the first ever AI Judges' Save last season). I admit Big Mike can sing and his cover of "When A Man Loves A Woman" was excellent, but I wouldn't have shed a tear over seeing him go last Wednesday. Especially based on this performance, which did not even come close to holding a candle to David Cook's excellent Season 7 rendition of the same song.

Crystal Bowersox - "Come Together" B

An interesting performance, to say the least. I believe viewers turn in to see what Crystal will do each week for the sheer enjoyment of it all. She is so effortless at what she does, I wonder if it will come back to haunt her. Meaning, viewers love to root for the underdog and right now Crystal is the front-runner. Could this be the shock elimination of the season? Anyway, back to the performance. I still prefer Carly Smithson's version of "Come Together" for Season 7 - god I miss Season 7 - but Crystal's was certainly good but not great.

Tim Urban - "All My Loving" B+

Oh Tim, what can I say? Finally a performance the judges praised, although I didn't find it to be any worse or better than last week's "Sweet Love" (which of course the judges hated). Tim's voice sounded smooth and I don't need to write about how gorgeous he is again this week - ok fine, I will (that-smile-those-eyes-that-hair).

Casey James - "Jealous Guy" A

This is the kind of song I could hear on the radio - Casey has a real radio voice, the voice of a true artist. Casey put a lot of emotion into this performance and it showed. I loved how he picked a more obscure John Lennon song (or at least obscure compared to songs like "Can't Buy Me Love" which probably every person on this planet has heard). You just can't teach someone how to perform like this. Amazing.

Siobhan Magnus - "Across The Universe" B-

I tried to like this performance. I really did. The ending note was gorgeous but somehow the whole thing just did not come off great to me. I did appreciate that Siobhan didn't feel the need to insert a scream into a song arbitrarily.

Lee Dewyze - "Hey Jude" A-

Oh Lee, you are the dark horse. You are the closest thing we are ever going to get to David Cook. But yes, it's not fair to compare Lee to David because Lee stands out on his own as a great singer and interpreter of songs. I loved Lee's use of the bagpipe player - finally something unexpected and unique. Probably one of the craziest and riskiest things I have ever seen in years of watching Idol and yes, it paid off. A true performance. I felt like I was at a concert watching someone I had paid good money to see.

Best of the night: Casey
Worst of the night: Big Mike

1 comment:

Yankee Talk said...

Sounds like it was a good week on Beatle's week! Love you.