2009: Year In Review

Top 10 Songs of 2009

10. Rob Thomas - "Her Diamonds"

Achingly sad but without losing the pop-rock catchy quality Rob Thomas has made his name on.



9. Ashley Tisdale - "Crank It Up"

The best pure pop song I have heard in a long time, it almost brings me back to the late 90's and the golden age of teen pop. A perfect party song, dance song, and a lot of fun.



8. Cobra Starship -" Hot Mess"

An ode to every sloppy drunk mess who looks better through beer goggles at closing time. This song came out of nowhere at the end of year and instantly stuck in my head.



7. Jay Z & Alicia Keys - "Empire State Of Mind"

This was the soundtrack of the 2009 World Series Champion Yankees this fall and every Yankee fan wholeheartedy embraced this love letter to New York City and the people that make it thrive.



6. Mariah Carey - "Obsessed"

Why I am obsessed (insert fake laughter here) with the song is beyond me. But the fact remains. I read on Billboard that this is the only song to ever make it to the Hot 100 that has featured a reference to Windex in the lyrics. And for that awesome fact, and many other great things about this song, it makes my Top 10 for the year.



5. Bon Jovi - "Superman Tonight"

A Bon Jovi love song in the tradition of all Bon Jovi love songs - from the references to Jon's old tattoo to the soaring arena-rock chorus. And as usual, I could not resist. Nor would I want to.



4. Brad Paisley - "Then"

Truly well written love ballads have become increasingly rare and I am grateful that country is the only genre that seems to embrace them anymore.



3. Sean Kingston - "Fire Burning"

The song of my summer, and when the song eventually faded at radio, I kept on requesting it. To the point where the DJ stopped taking request from me. Somebody call 9-1-1. And from the way I would run over to the dance floor everytime that first line blared out of the speakers, you would actually think there was a fire somewhere. Maybe even burning on the dance floor.



2. Weezer - "If You're Wondering If I Want You To (I Want You To)"

I went on a Weezer kick at the end of 2009. I still don't know exactly why, but it's probably due to this amazing song. The video is a great live version the band performed with Leighton Meester at the Hammerstein Ballroom at their Halloween concert. Hands down, the best song Weezer has ever recorded.



1. Britney Spears - "3"

Another #1 song for Britney and the catchiest song I have heard in years. A true Max Martin classic gem and proof that he should write and produce all of Britney's music.



Honorable Mentions:
* Daughtry - "No Surprise"
* Paramore - "Ignorance"
* Leighton Meester - "Somebody To Love"
* Adam Lambert - "For Your Entertainment"
* David Guetta - "Sexy Bitch"
* Madonna & Lil Wayne - "Revolver"
* Lady Gaga - "Speechless"
* George Strait - "Living For The Night"

Comments