American Idol Season 8 - Top 3: May 12, 2009


Top 3 - Judges and Contestants Choice songs: May 12, 2009

Danny Gokey - "Dance Little Sister" (Paula's choice) C

This performance reminds me of karaoke, or a wedding singer. Or someone that I would be impressed with on a cruise ship. However, how many cruise ship singer/wedding singer soundtracks do YOU own (with the possible exception of The Wedding Singer soundtrack - because that is excellent)? He needed to clear his throat on this performance. His dancing was pretty bad and his vocals were tolerable. However, "tolerable" does not an American Idol make, let me tell you.

Kris Allen - "Apologize" (Randy & Kara's choice) A-

I was torn with what to give Kris on this song, an A- or a B+ so I copped out and gave him both. This slowed-down version of the song was beautiful and Kris's piano playing was very nice. The guitar in the background of the song sounded great too. Honestly the only week that Kris faltered was "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" and even that was a B performance.

Adam Lambert - "One" (Simon's choice) A-

I was very impressed that Simon got Bono's and the band's personal approval to use this song on the show. Adam did not disappoint; he made the song his own with different inflection and emphasis of the lyrics that might have been slightly absent from the original. I liked how he bookended the song with a slow start and end, but in the middle of the song, he made it a faster Broadway-rock hybrid.

Danny Gokey - "You Are So Beautiful" C+

This was okay, I suppose, but it was boring despite the new arrangement. I have a feeling this was a slightly-disguised ploy to play the emotional card yet again by Karoake Gokey. UGH. I only wish Danny would wipe that smug smirk off his face. You are not guaranteed anything Danny! My mom used to sing this song to me as a child and I must say I enjoy her version better than this. Maybe my mom can be the next American Idol.

Kris Allen - "Heartless" A

What a great version of this song! To take a rap song and make it into something aching and pretty is challenging and Kris was up to the challenge. I love how Kara couldn't refrain from including criticism in even a positive critique. Really Kara? I will download this song and listen to it over and over again. I give Kris credit for going out on a limb and making the song TRULY HIS OWN.

Adam Lambert - "Cryin'" A-

So maybe Adam didn't completely revolutionize this song by Aerosmith, but I loved it. Although since when is a song from 1993 a classic? Oh God. Does this mean I'm getting old? I remember 1993. I think I bought my first CD in 1993 (it was "The Sign" by Ace of Base in case you were wondering). Anyway - back to the performance. Adam's voice sounded great, but the backup singers were too loud and drowned out his voice. I loved his outfit and his attitude - again, he is an all-around performer. I am impressed with his on-stage confidence but seemingly sincere humility when listening to the judges. Danny could learn a thing or two from him!

Best of the night: Kris
Worst of the night: Danny

Comments

Yankee Talk said…
Your mom could be the next American Idol, she would not stand for Paula's cracked out comments and Simon being a bully!