American Idol Season 8 - Top 4: May 5, 2009


Top 4 - Rock Week - May 5, 2009


Can I just say that this is my ideal American Idol episode? Slash has always been one of my favorite musicians, and Guns N Roses one of my favorite bands. I love the concept of putting them in the club and having them rehearse with a band.

Since I am watching the episode online instead of live on TV, I'll be able to comment before hearing the judges' opinions. I have to admit that sometimes I will be swayed by their comments.

Adam Lambert - "Whole Lotta Love" A+

My first and only A+ of the season goes to Adam with this performance. I am absolutely blown away. He killed it. From the first word to the last note, this is incredible. The band was on fire, the guitar solo was hot, the lights just added to the whole performance. He is an electrifying performer and someone I would easily go to see in concert. I have never ever seen an American Idol performance like this one. Adam is a true rock star - he has the look as evidenced by his sexy hair and leather jacket last night, the charm, and the voice most importantly.

Allison Iraheta - "Cry Baby" A-

Wow, Allison's voice never sounded so good. Her voice sounds bluesy, soulful and full - she isn't straining or trying too hard. Her performance is passionate and inspired. She really owned the stage in a way she never had before. This is the kind of song she should be singing - a perfect song choice. There is no way Allison should go home after this kind of performance. After hearing the judges comments, they do not know what they're talking about - the song choice was incredible.

Kris & Danny duet - "Renegade" C+

What an odd concept to have these duets! I am not sure if I was really feelin this, dawg. Kris sounded good although his voice did crack a bit on one note. However, Danny sounded - AGAIN - like he has to clear his throat. The band sounded amazing though - they deserve credit where credit is due. Simon, how much are they paying you to praise Danny unconditionally? And Danny, could you sound ANY MORE arrogant?

Kris Allen - "Come Together" B+

A very solid performance by Kris, but I have to say I prefer Carly Smithson's version in Season 7. She put a grit and vocal quality into it that Kris didn't quite have, although his version was definitely enjoyable and well-done. I think Simon's comment about it being like "eating ice for lunch" was hilarious but not dead-on. The judges definitely threw Kris under the bus tonight. OH NO.

Danny Gokey - "Dream On" D

This was hideous. I shudder to think what Steven Tyler would say if he heard this performance. Danny's attempt at the scream at the end was painful and he was straining to CLEAR HIS THROAT. Get the man some Ricola! Everything about this performance was painful, from Danny's weird purple shirt-black vest outfit to the trying-too-hard spiked hair to his lack of stage prescence. DANNY IS NOT THE AMERICAN IDOL. Sorry Danny, I used to like you. I really did.

Allison & Adam duet - "Slow Ride" A-
This was an exciting and electrifying duet - Allison and Adam had great chemistry on stage with each other, unlike Kris and Danny who seemed to have some kind of tension. This is what a duet is supposed to be like, as Kara said - when the two people are pushing each other to be even better.

Best of the night: Adam (by a mile)
Worst of the night: Danny (by a mile)

Comments