Top 25 Songs of My College Years

These are the songs that I will forever associated with the years 2004-2008 and my college experience as a whole. Some are funny, some are sad.

1. The Shins - "Caring Is Creepy" (2004)This song summed up the end of freshman year - haunting and ethereal. Many people will know this song from the Garden State soundtrack.




2. O-Zone - "Dragostea Din Tei" (2003) - also known as "Numa Numa song"
Played at pretty much every frat party, also great times dancing with Christine while driving my boat.

3. Death Cab For Cutie - "Champagne From A Paper Cup" (1998)
Describes the end of a party winding down - extremely beautiful song that has the 3rd most amount of plays on my Itunes. Definitely describes many many nights at college.



4. Tom Petty - "American Girl"
Every time I hear this song I will instantly be reminded of someone I would rather not remember!

5. Jay-Z - "99 Problems" (2004)
I rapped this song a million times in my room while getting ready to go out.

6. The Killers - "Somebody Told Me" (2004)
One of my favorite songs to dance to freshman year and a huge hit at the time.

7. Will Smith - "Will 2 K" (1999)
A favorite New Year's Eve party song for the 2005/2006 evening!



8. Dashboard Confessional - "Screaming Infidelities" (1999)
Again - the reasoning behind including this one isn't pretty but it certainly was one I listened to constantly on my Discman freshman year. Yes, Discman.



9. Bright Eyes - "Lua" (2004)
I listened to this song all the time junior year. Features one of the most beautiful and amazing lyrics ever: "And I know you have a heavy heart, I can feel it when we kiss/So many men stronger than me have thrown their backs out trying to lift it"



10. Brand News - "Degausser", "You Won't Know", and "Jesus Christ" (2006)
From my lost semester. These three songs will always remind me of bitter cold evenings and too many cigarettes.

11. Bright Eyes - "It's Cool, We Can Still Be Friends"
A beautiful and sparse acoustic song I listened to freshman year over and over.

12. Brand New - "Soco Amaretto Lime" (2001)First kiss with Andrew <3 span="" style="font-weight: bold;">

13. Garth Brooks - "Friends In Low Places"
My favorite song to sing karaoke too - also one that I managed to have played at 95% of Tri Delta parties.

14. Taking Back Sunday - "The Ballad Of Sal Villanueva" (2002)
One of the rare songs that went just as well with cigarettes as it did with working out. This song applied to my life at the time.



15. Counting Crows - "Always On My Mind (Live)"
I listened to this extremely depressing and emotional version of the song far too many times in the winter of 2004. Suprisingly this Youtube video is the exact same performance of the song I listened to on MP3.



16. Scissor Sisters - "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" (2006)Played this all the time in London, also a Jazzercize favorite.

17. T-Pain - "Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin')" (2007)
I am T-Pain, enough said. I think I sang this song more in one year than any other song I have ever sang in my life.

18. White Lion - "Farewell To You"
Sadly, this was my song with a certain someone for far too long!

19. Jimmy Eat World - "Work" (2004)
The most played song on my Itunes, there is no way I could leave this one out. Or the excellent demo version of this song, which may be superior to the original.



20. Bright Eyes - "Take It Easy (Love Nothing)" (2004)
Listened to this one all the time freshman and sophomore year and actually wrote a piece of writing to accompany it. This song 100% captures where I was at the time.



21. Rufus Wainwright - "Hallelujah" (2001)
Listened to this song fairly consistently throughout all four years.

22. Brand New - "Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis" (2003)
If any one song defines my college experience, it is this one. And for all the wrong reasons.



23. Bon Jovi - "Livin' On A Prayer" (1986)
My sorority's song and basically everyone's favorite party anthem.

24. Trick Daddy f. Twista & Lil' Jon - "Let's Go" (2004)
A favorite freshman year party song.

25. Straylight Run - "Mistakes We Knew We Were Making" (2004)
Song that summed up the end of sophomore year.

Comments

Yankee Talk said…
You have some obscure songs here! However, you should add some of our current songs to this list, they at least took up all or most of senior year, which is 25% of your college experience.