American Idol Season 8 - Top 9: March 31, 2009



I've decided to start a new thing, which is my thoughts on American Idol each week.


March 31, 2009 - Top iTunes Downloads

This theme turned out to be a particularly dubious one. Maybe if it had been limited to Itunes downloads that were currently on the charts, it could have been a better theme. But trying to find the connection between the wide variety of songs that were chosen last night was like looking for the sense in Paula's comments.

Anoop Desai - "Caught Up" B-
I love Anoop. Let me just get that out of the way. I do. But this performance was just trying too hard. I don't think Anoop compares to Usher in terms of the type of singer or artist they are. And Anoop came off just a little arrogant after the judge's comments when he was speaking to Ryan. This could hurt him in the voting...although I voted for him about 35 times last night.

Megan Joy - "Turn Your Lights Down Low" C+
This was just okay, and I mainly say that because I actually like Megan. She is a beautiful girl and her quirky voice is endearing to me. "For Once In My Life", last week's performance, was not so good, but this was an improvement. I have to say it was kind of boring though.

Danny Gokey - "What Hurts The Most" B
Although I still don't think Danny has the best voice, this performance brought tears to my eyes because of the raw emotion of it. Danny did a great job with this song last night.

Allison Iraheta - "Don't Speak" C+
Although I do credit her for her amazing performance of "Give In To Me" during Michael Jackson week, I do NOT consider her the dark horse and I think she is way overrated. Why will Allison not win American Idol? Because of her very unscripted and often annoying personality. Her flippant remark "I'm not dark, I'm not, like, cutting myself or anything" was offensive and cringe-worthy. That said, her performance of "Don't Speak" was good but not great. I think the judges could have commented a bit more on her singing and not her atrocious (Simon catchphrase) outfit and hairstyle.

Scott MacIntyre - "Just The Way You Are" B-
This was undoubtedly Scott's best performance. Unfortunately, that's not saying much. Although Scott is clearly a sweet guy and has a great sense of humor, I don't think his voice is strong enough to stay in the competition for much longer. I did like how he chose to perform with just the piano and not the backing band, that was a great touch.

Matt Giurad - "You Found Me" C+
Oh Matt, I voted for you a ton of times last week after your incredible and sexy performance of "Let's Get It On". That performance was confident and soulful. I can not stand the song "You Found Me" by the Fray. Wait for a blog entry later on how that song is the absolute antithesis of rock 'n roll and rock stars in general. I do think Matt sounded much better than the original song but I wasn't inspired to vote for him like I was last week.

Lil Rounds - I Surrender D
I do not understand how Lil Rounds is so hyped. One word: overrated. This performance was awkward and shrill. If I heard this on the radio, I would definitely change the station. Lil Rounds is the stereotypical diva and Syesha Mercado did this better last season (although Syesha inexplicably made it to the Top 3 - I am not sure how that happened).

Adam Lambert - Play That Funky Music A-
Could Adam be the David Cook of this season? I was pretty confused when I heard Adam would be singing this song, however it ended up pretty cool! He took an old song (that is VERY dated) and made it sound current and cool. Now that is commendable. I loved his voice on this song. He really does mix it up every week, you have to admit, whether you love him or hate him.

And this time the producers saved the best for last.

Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine A
Undoubtedly the best performance of the night. After this, it is apparent that Kris is my American Idol no matter what happened. He has had great performances all in a row - "To Make You Feel My Love", "Remember The Time" and now this. Kris has a beautiful, amazing voice and clearly a ton of fans! I loved hearing him play the piano and sing at the same time. He took this song and made it his own. Amazing job!

Who should go home tonight? Lil Rounds. But she obviously won't! UGH. Not after that oh-so-staged business with her kids.

SAVE ANOOP!

Best of the night: Kris
Worst of the night: Lil

Comments

Andrew said…
I wonder what the "oh so staged" American Idol will have in store for you this week?!