American Idol Season 8 - Top 8: April 7, 2009


Top 8 - April 7, 2009 - Songs From The Year You Were Born


Finally! The long awaited songs from the year you were born theme! I know I was awaiting it...maybe I was the only one.

Danny Gokey - "Stand By Me" (1980) B
This performance was a good, solid way to start off the show. I am not sure why Danny Gokey seems to have a free pass to the finale - I think he is being set up for the shock elimination of the season. He consistently has solid performances but they don't stun me. I like Danny and I liked the arrangement of this song. Nice job.

Kris Allen - "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" (1985) B+
Maybe this was not as good as it could have been, but it didn't deserve to be so panned by the judges. Kris picked a fun song and did a nice job with it. Maybe it is playing in the fan pit that is the kiss of death, as Matt learned last week with "You Found Me". Kris, get out of the pit and back on the stage because you - yes, YOU - deserve a spot in the finale. Now if only the producers would stop showing your wife on screen so much.

Lil Rounds - "What's Love Got To Do With It" (1984) C+
This was by far Lil Rounds' best performance so far, but as my mom keenly observed, maybe it was only because she did a very good imitation of Tina Turner - right down to the way she walks around on stage and some head tilts. Why is Lil so overhyped? Yes, Lil, I too used to imitate Tina Turner - when I was 6, I used to dance around the living room to the Private Dancer record (yes, a vinyl record). But I am not on American Idol trying to prove myself as an artist.

Anoop Desai - "True Colors" (1986) B+
Nice job Anoop! I love how the judges are so hypocritical with their praise. One minute they are telling you to be young and contemporary, try something fast paced. Then you try it and they say you are trying to impress your frat brothers by singing Usher. Anyway - Anoop muddled through their confusing praise/criticism to come out with a sweet and pretty vocal performance. I am a bit concerned that Anoop only seems to shine when singing ballads - prove me wrong Anoop Dawg, because you are still my second favorite in this competition!

Scott MacIntyre - "The Search Is Over" (1985) CYes, it was interesting to see Scott perform without the piano. And I think he did a fairly good job. His guitar playing was a bit questionable however. I think I saw him play approximately three chords. Scott is a nice guy and has a likeable personality. I think that has gotten him far in this competition, but it won't take him into the top 3. His voice is simply okay.

Allison Iraheta - "Can't Make You Love Me" (1992) B
I honestly don't have too much to say about this performance. Allison does have a voice beyond her years and I do admire her ability to inject emotion into a song. However, this was a bit forgettable to me, as Simon might say. I thought her performance of "Don't Speak" last week was better. At least her choice of wardrobe has improved (although not by much) for this performance.

Matt Giraud - "Part Time Lover" (1984) AIt confuses me how there are two Matts: the one who sings "Viva La Vida" and "You Found Me" and the Matt who sings "Part Time Lover" and "Let's Get It On". Please, Matt, for my sake, keep being the latter. When he is on, Matt is incredible. He is sexy and fun and this performance reminded me very much of Justin Timberlake. Matt has just secured the spot as my third favorite in this competition behind Kris and Anoop (respectively). The best of the night!!!!

Adam Lambert - "Mad Mad World" (1982) B
Am I the only one in the world who was not absolutely thrilled by this performance? Maybe it is one of those things that has to grow on me, like fungus or drinking black coffee. I thought it was gutsy of Adam to sing perhaps the most heartbreaking line ever sung on American Idol: "The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had." I much preferred Adam's other performances to this one.

Best of the night: Matt
Worst of the night: Scott

Comments

Yankee Talk said…
I love you :) I wish I could've seen you dancing around to that Tina Turner song at the age of 6!