Tuesday, April 28, 2009

American Idol Season 8 - Top 5: April 28, 2009


Top 5 - Rat Pack - April 28, 2009

Well I thought this theme was going to be a complete disaster and it was actually pretty stellar. (I think I'm going back to 1994 with the use of the word stellar.) Everyone sounded pretty good this week, there were no absolute trainwrecks.

Kris Allen - "The Way You Look Tonight" A

Kris was amazing. He is incredible, charming and affable. He is the real deal. Finally Kara called him the dark horse tonight. Kris hasn't gotten his fair share and has been a bit overshadowed by the preordained Adam-Danny-Lil Final 3 (well now that Lil was voted off there goes that! HA!) This was incredible. I also love this song and hearing it always reminds me of "My Best Friend's Wedding".

Allison Iraheta - "Someone To Watch Over Me" B+

One of Allison's best performances in weeks. Tonight she proved that she can sing a ballad. I was impressed that she sang delicately without losing her edge. She looked very pretty also - no more bizzaro outfits. She gave an emotionally charged performance and definitely connected with the music.

Matt Giraud - "My Funny Valentine" B

Matt truly fit the theme tonight. This performance was solid but a little unexciting to me. The note at the end was both sweet and impressive. I love you Matt, but I honestly don't have that much to say about this song tonight. I think it's because I don't really like this song, no matter who sings it (even Bon Jovi's cover doesn't impress me too much - so that's saying something). I am voting for you though and crossing my fingers!

Danny Gokey - "Come Rain or Come Shine" B+

I had to grudgingly give Danny a B+ because this performance was GOOD. I was impressed and mostly shocked. His vocals were much improved and didn't give me that urge to tell him to clear his throat that I have sometimes. I cracked up when Randy said for the millionth time "You can sing!" I see his "confidence" as complete arrogance, but maybe that's just me. I really liked the arrangement on this song, it added a lot to his vocals.

Adam Lambert - "Feelin' Good" B

Adam looked like a 1920's mobster tonight - he certainly looked the part! To me, this was one of his weakest performances. I do like Adam although Kris and Matt are my favorites. I just didn't feel this was his best. The last note killed it however - that note alone could give Sebastian Bach a run for his money. (That's probably the biggest compliment I could give.) So I had to add points for that alone.

Best of the night: Kris
Worst of the night: Adam (I do really like Adam, I swear!)

1 comment:

Yankee Talk said...

The best article in TV Guide this week was with Simon talking about American Idol. He called himself a German Shepherd and Ryan a little chihuahua. I think that is pretty accurate.