American Idol Season 8 - Top 7: April 14, 2009


Top 7 - Songs From The Movies - April 14, 2009

Allison Iraheta - "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" C+
As Randy would say, "Yo Dawg, it was just alright for me. You did your thing." Each week, I feel differently about Allison - at first I couldn't stand her, then her amazing performance of "Give In To Me" during Michael Jackson week sold me on her vocal ability. But I just can't decide whether I like her or not. This performance was okay but not great.

Anoop Desai - "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" B+
Nice job Anoop!! Interestingly, the first two songs of the night are my two songs with my boyfriend. Anoop did a much better job than Allison; he kept the melody pretty and simple. I do worry that voters may forget his sweet but understated performance. More American Idol contestants could learn from Anoop's performance tonight.

Adam Lambert - "Born To Be Wild" B+
Each week, whether you love him or hate him, Adam is certainly entertaining. I think he is the most talked about Idol contestant this season and he is the one that will almost certainly go on to great things. I didn't like this performance vocally as much as ones in the past. The backup singers sounded hideous. However, Adam is a true rock star with great stage presence. Stage presence can often be that "it" factor and is something many (if not most) Idol contestants lack. I would definitely go see Adam in concert - he is electrifying and exciting. I'll forgive him this week for a performance I didn't like as much.

Matt Giraud - "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" A-
The second Bryan Adams song of the night! I have a feeling Matt would have won me over tonight even if he didn't sing Bryan Adams (one of my favorites). Matt will be the one I am voting for tonight. Matt's performance was so pretty and soulful. Kris and Adam may be the heartthrobs of the group, but Matt is my dark horse and one of my favorites. VOTE FOR MATT!

Danny Gokey - "Endless Love" D-
SERIOUSLY SIMON??? Are you crazy? How can you compliment Danny each week even when he doesn't deserve it?? Is he paying you off? Are you studiously avoiding anything that disrupts the Danny-Adam-Lil final 3 you so desperately want? COME ON SIMON!

This was a flat, boring performance. I have heard better singers in karaoke bars, weddings, and cruise ships. DO YOU HEAR THAT SIMON? My boyfriend is a better singer than this! The harp was interesting however, that prevents this performance from getting an F.

Kris Allen - "Falling Slowly" A-
This performance gave me chills. Well done, Kris. You took an obscure song and made it your own. Kris was sexy and soft and gorgeous as usual. It astounds me each week when the judges fail to praise Kris for anything he does. He is a far more nuanced and interesting singer than Lil or Danny could ever hope to be.

Lil Rounds - "The Rose" D
Way to fight with Simon after your performance, Lil. Simon had it right this time - she has been billed as this "incredible talent" but where is this talent?? "I Surrender" and "What's Love Got To Do With It" were unexciting. Allison is truly the girl to beat in this competition. I am interested to see if the competition will come down to 3 guys - I have a feeling it will. If it were up to me, it would be Adam-Matt-Kris. But I know it won't.

Best of the Night: Kris
Worst of the Night: Danny

Comments

Yankee Talk said…
How nice they sang our 2 songs first. Believe me, those songs are more important than the score haha. I love you <3
Yankee Talk said…
Your review of Danny Gokey should be more proof for you this show is staged!

And I am a better singer than him for sure.