Friday, January 16, 2009

Now That's What I Call Motown


The "Now That's What I Call Music" series (often abbreviated "NOW") is like the Energizer Bunny...it keeps going and going and going... OK, I admit I own NOW 2 - 7, those were released from 1999-2001... I think I got a little fed up with the series around Now 8. Must have been the inclusion of "Clint Eastwood" by the Gorillaz - God, I hated that song.

I believe the latest NOW is the 29th in the series (England's on Now 71, by comparison - but they started releasing them in 1984). The NOW series serve as nice compliations of the most popular music at the time, always featuring a variety of genres, from pop, rap, rock, R&B, and most recently - country. Although you have to wonder how much money changed hands to include some of these tracks - a Baha Men single called "Move It Like This"? Who knew they had any other songs besides "Who Let The Dogs Out"? - most of them are a pretty accurate representation of radio at the time.

Most recently, the NOW series has expanded into completely different sets, such as three Christmas NOW CDs, and other sets like: Now That's What I Call Party Hits, Classic Rock, Country, the 80's, the Best of Now: 10th Anniversary Edition, and my new absolute favorite:

NOW That's What I Call Motown!

I checked this CD out from the library and I ran out to Best Buy and bought it the next day. Because it is just that good. And it's on sale for $11.99 this week!

These songs are pop perfection in their purest forms. There is a reason why the Motown name is so famous, and these songs are it. Whoever put "My Guy" and "My Girl" next to each other on the CD was genius. Although this compilation is a little heavy on Marvin Gaye (4 songs), he is one of the greatest 60's era artists out there and each of his songs merits inclusion. How tragic it was to lose such a talent so early.

There is really not one bad song on this CD. Driving and listening to it in the morning puts a smile on my face, and I am sure other people on the road are amused by the huge grin on my face as I "car dance" and sing to all these awesome songs.

Track listing (from Wikipedia)

  1. Barrett Strong – "Money (That's What I Want)" (2:36)
  2. The Marvelettes – "Please Mr. Postman" (2:29)
  3. The Miracles – "Shop Around" (2:49)
  4. The Contours – "Do You Love Me (2:53)
  5. Martha and the Vandellas – "Dancing in the Street (2:39)
  6. Mary Wells – "My Guy" (2:52)
  7. The Temptations – "My Girl" (2:58)
  8. The Supremes – "Stop! In the Name of Love" (2:52)
  9. Junior Walker & the All Stars – "Shotgun" (3:19)
  10. Four Tops – "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" (2:45)
  11. The Supremes – "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (2:41)
  12. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing " (2:13)
  13. Marvin Gaye – "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (3:13)
  14. The Temptations – "I Can't Get Next to You" (2:52)
  15. The Jackson 5 – "I Want You Back" (2:59)
  16. Stevie Wonder – "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (2:39)
  17. Edwin Starr – "War" (3:22)
  18. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles – "The Tears of a Clown" (3:00)
  19. Marvin Gaye – "What's Going On" (3:54)
  20. Gladys Knight & the Pips – "Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)" (4:23)
  21. Marvin Gaye – "Let's Get It On" (4:52)
  22. The Miracles – "Love Machine (Part 1)" (3:00)
  23. Commodores – "Brick House" (3:28)
  24. Diana Ross – "Upside Down" (4:03)
  25. Rick James – "Super Freak" (3:24)


Now I'm going to wait for "Now That's What I Call Music: The 90's".....probably in the next year or so! Or "Now That's What I Call Music: Teen Pop" - can you only imagine who would be included on this one? Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, maybe some Menudo, Britney, Backstreet Boys, Mandy Moore, NSYNC, Miley Cyrus...I can't wait!

No comments: