Wednesday, January 28, 2009

New songs and more thoughts

Kelly Clarkson ~ "My Life Would Suck Without You"

This song is already, in its 2nd week on the chart, a Billboard Hot 100 #1 hit and just set the record for the biggest jump to number one in one week, from #97-1. I think this song is a return to the older Kelly Clarkson songs, like "Since U Been Gone", "Walk Away" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes". I have a feeling her album is going to be a #1 hit as well and sell pretty well.

Now as for the song, it's catchy, the kind of song that grows on you. It's pop, but it has enough of a rock edge not to be too sticky and sweet. I didn't really like it that much at first, but after repeat listening, it gets into your head - and it stays there. And isn't that the mark of any true great pop song?



Flo Rida ~ "Right Round"
#102 Billboard Hot 100...
although it was just released on the 20th so wait a while, this one's going Top 10 for sure

This song is absolutely addicting. Maybe it's the Dead or Alive sample, maybe it's the fact I know I should hate it, but I already know that every time this song comes on at a club, my first instinct will be to throw my purse down and go dance. Yeah, it's just another song about a stripper, it's been done a hundred times (Akon, Snoop Dogg, T-Pain)...but this one is so much better. I'm ashamed. But at least I'm honest!

Also adding to the buzz is that it definitely features some singer named Kesha, but is rumoured to feature Katy Perry as well...who knows?



Fall Out Boy ~ "America's Suitehearts"
can't find a chart position for this one, it may not have charted?

The verses in this song are a lot weaker than those in their previous single "I Don't Care", but the chorus is typical Fall Out Boy, soaring and arrogant. And I mean that in that nicest way possible, Pete Wentz, and I don't think you'd disagree.

At first, I wrote that this song was a "good but not great" Fall Out Boy song. I have to say after repeat listening this song just gets into your head, and it has grown on me a lot. I could listen to it over and over, and that's saying something!




Kanye West ~ "Heartless"
#3 Billboard Hot 100

Let's get this straight: I am not a Kanye West fan. Yes, I listen to "Stronger" when I run on the treadmill, but it must be the most perfect workout song ever written. I even hate his new Auto-Tune phase. But yes, you knew it was coming, I love this song. Despite the computerized aspects of the song, at least there's some real emotion behind it and I love the lyrics.

No comments: