Monday, October 13, 2008

If I Was Your Vampire



After watching the full length trailer for the "Max Payne" movie (which coincidentally is playing on TV as I write this) I was enthralled by the song playing in the background. On a side note, "Max Payne" looks like a bigger budget rip off of "The Crow" (which will forever be associated with Brandon Lee's tragic death on the set...but what a performance, what a legacy he left everyone with...one of the most haunting and visceral movies I have ever seen, it is amazing).

The song is a little known Marilyn Manson track called "If I Was Your Vampire" off a CD he released last year (that was released to little fanfare, as I hadn't heard anything about it, and it only sold 200,000 copies).

A link to watch a fan made video with the song in the background (the song's video is mysteriously not on YouTube): http://video.yahoo.com/watch/602387/2902908

Anyway, the song is gorgeous. It's dark and deep, and not exactly earthshattering material from Marylin Manson (who has done the same sort of thing with "Coma White" and "Coma Black")...but it is incredibly haunting. It's the type of song that shakes you to your very soul and resonates with you long after you've heard it. The type of song you'd listen to in the dark while running your fingers over a tattered photograph, the light of candles flickering in the background.

And something about me thinks it would be perfect for Stephenie Meyer's wildly popular Twilight series. If Twilight had a little more bite. Oh haha I am so funny! (For anyone living under a rock, the Twilight series is comprised of 4 novels that have sold millions of copies. The plot can be reduced to a love story between a teenage girl and a chillingly seductive vampire.) But the Twilight saga is a bit too PG rated for a song as brutal as this one, and that bothers me. I wish it was perfect for Twilight, but Twilight skims over the blood lust that has made vampire novels/movies/songs/stories so alluring for so many centuries.

"If I was your vampire, certain as the moon,
Instead of killing time,
We'll have each other until the sun.
If I was your vampire,
Death waits for no one.
Hold my hands across your face,
Because I think our time has come."

"You press the knife against your heart
And say, 'I love you so much you must kill me now'"

God, it is chilling. This song is much more suited to Anne Rice's incredible Vampire Chronicles series ("Interview With The Vampire", "The Vampire Lestat", "Queen of The Damned")...and by that I mean the BOOKS, not the movies. Or even Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in its darker moments, of which there were many.

Even though I love the Twilight series, I have to say that they are a little too tame for my taste, but they clearly appeal to the market to which they were written for. The above two "Twilight" posters were fan made, the actual movie poster is below....doesn't Bella look 13?? Tsk tsk, that movie poster looks cuddly in comparison to the above two.


I'm glad that "If I Was Your Vampire" is getting the attention it deserves after being included in the "Max Payne" trailer. If only it had been written 15 years ago, so it could have been on the already amazing "The Crow" soundtrack.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Do you read Twilight? I have read some of one book, and I really liked it!

Meghan said...

I have read Twilight and its sequel New Moon...now I am reading the third book Eclipse. I like them a lot although I think I am a better match for Edward then Bella!